Blepharoplasty and the Eyelid Crease with Video 3nd Edition
Atlas of Cosmetic Oculofacial Surgery Second Edition, with DVD
Blepharoplasty: A Surgical Atlas.
By Dr. William Pai-Dei Chen, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Butterworth-Heinemann (1995; out of print). 1st edition, 192pp.
First comprehensive textbook that details the origins of the various suture methods versus the incision methods for double eyelid crease procedures. First book to emphasize the various anatomy unique to Asians and surgical details this necessitated.
"Oculoplastic –The Essentials"
( A Medical Textbook): Chen, WPDC (Editor)
Thieme Medical Publishers, Inc.
(Stuttgart and New York); August 2001. Hardcover, 499pp.
Some books to which Dr.Chen has contributed chapters on Asian Blepharoplasty techniques:
Recent published papers and book chapters:
- WPDChen: Chapter 10 on Asian Blepharoplasty: in Eyelid and Periocular Surgery, Second Edition (by Mark Codner and Clinton McCord MD; CRC Press. In press 2016
- WPDChen: Upper Eyelid Crease Malposition, Correction and Treatment. Chapter in “ Problems in Oculoplastic Surgery: A Repair Manual” (Foad Nahai, Editor; CRC Press. In press 2016
- WPD Chen (Senior Author), in Chapter 31: “Asian Blepharoplasty”,in “Essentials of Aesthetic Surgery ” (Textbook, Editor: Jeff Janis MD) (CRC Press, 2016)
- WPD Chen: “Asian Blepharoplasty and the Eyelid Crease”, 2016 textbook with video resources (Inkling), 3rd Edition. Elsevier Science.
- WPDChen: “Visual, Physiological, and Aesthetic Factors and Pitfalls in Asian Blepharoplasty.” ( WPD Chen) Aesthetic Surgery Journal 2016; 36(3):275-83
- WPD Chen: Book review in Aesth Surgery Journal: on “Clinics of Plastic Surgery (Dec.2015)”: Lower Lid and Midface: Multispecialty Approach. (Editors: B.Azizzadeh, G.Massry)
- WPDChen:“What are my recommendations regarding Asian Blepharoplasty”: a chapter in Curbside Consultations in Oculoplastics: 49 Clinical Questions. Second Edition (Editors: Robert Kersten, Timothy McCulley. 2015 SLACK)
- WPDChen: “Comprehensive Review of Asian Cosmetic Upper Eyelid Oculoplastic Surgery: Asian Blepharoplasty and the Like”. Arch Aesthetic Plast Surg 2014; 20(3):129-139 (S Chang, WPD Chen, IC Cho,TJ Ahn )
- WPDChen: “Asian Blepharoplasty” Chapter in Master Techniques in Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery: Wayne F.Larrabee MD (Editors:James Ridgeway, Eugene Myers. Lippencott Williams & Wilkins)
- WPDChen: Chapters 3: Preoperative Patient Counseling for Cosmetic Blepharoplasty, & Chapter 8: Preoperative Preparation and Anesthesia in Blepharoplasty: Pearls and Pitfalls in Cosmetic Oculoplastic Surgery (Second Edition), Editors: Morris Hartstein, Massry and Holds. 2013 Springer.
- WPDChen: Asian Upper Lid Blepharoplasty: An Update on Indications and Technique. WChen, J Park. Facial Plastic Surgery 2013; 29:26-31
- "Asian Blepharoplasty", chapter in "The Art of Aesthetic Surgery: Principles and Techniques"(Second Edition), Edited by Foad Nahai, Quality Medical Publishing, Inc. ( 2011)
- "Asian Blepharoplasty:The Essential Steps", chapter in "Manual of Oculoplastic Surgery"(Fourth Edition). Editor: Levine MR; SLACK Publishing, 2010
- "Preoperative Preparation and Anesthesia", Chapter 8 in Pearls and Pitfalls in Cosmetic Oculoplastic Surgery: Hartstien, Massry and Holds; Springer-Verlag, New York, 2009
- "Preoperative Patient Counseling for Cosmetic Blepharoplasty", Chapter 3 in Pearls and Pitfalls in Cosmetic Oculoplastic Surgery: Hartstien, Massry and Holds; Springer-Verlag, New York, 2009
- "Upper Blepharoplasty in the Asian Patient",Chapter 9, Pages 105-114, in Putterman's Cosmetic Oculoplastic Surgery, Fourth Edition. (Editor: Fagien S) Saunders/Elsevier. 2008
- "Asian Blepharoplasty", Chapter 10, in textbook of "Eyelid and Periorbital Surgery", in pages 317-330, Editors: McCord CD and Codner MA. Quality Medical Publishing,Inc. 2008
- Chen WPD: Beveled Approach for Revisional Surgery in Asian Blepharoplasty. Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery.120(2):545-552, August 2007.
- Chen WPD: The Concept of a Glide Zone as It Relates to Upper Lid Crease, Lid Fold, and Application in Upper Blepharoplasty. Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery.119(1):379-386, January 2007.
- Upper Eyelid Blepharoplasty in the Asian Patient. Chapter 11, in Cosmetic Oculoplastic Surgery, pages 101-111, Third Edition, 2000. By Putterman AM; W.B. Saunders.
- Expert Commentary, for "Blepharoplasty and Blepharoptosis Surgery in Asians", Chapter 3, Pages 68-71. In “Unfavorable Results of Eyelid and Lacrimal Surgery," (Editor Mauriello J), Butterworth-Heinemann, 2000.
- "Aesthetic Eyelid Surgery in Asians: An East-West View.” Hong Kong Journal of Ophthalmology. Vol.3, No.1. Pages 27-31. 2000
- Insights from a Series of Asian Blepharoplasty. Presented at the annual Scientific Symposium of the American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. Atlanta Georgia, 1990.
- Concept of Triangular,Trapezoidal,and Rectangular Debulking of Eyelid Tissues: Application in Asian Blepharoplasty. Plast.Reconstr.Surgery. Vol.97,No.1:212-218, Jan. 1996.
- Tarsal Polishing and Mucous Membrane Grafting for Cicatricial Entropion, Trichiasis, and Epidermalization. Ophthalmic Surgery, 1983,Vol.14:1021-1025.
- Enucleation and Myoconjunctival Attachment to Improve Prosthetic Motility.Chapter 85,Techniques in Ophthalmic Plastic Surgery (by Wesley,R; John Wiley and Sons,Inc.)1986.
- Asian Blepharoplasty--Update on Anatomy and Technique. J. Ophthal. Plast. and Reconstr. Surg; Vol.3 (3):135-140,1987.
- Contributor to chapter on "Enucleation", in Oculoplastic Surgery, Second Edition, by McCord CD and Tanenbaum M; Pages 411-417; Raven Press,1987.
- A Comparision of Caucasian and Asian Blepharoplasty. Ophthalmic Practice, Vol.9 (5): 216-222,1991.
- Tarsal Polishing and Mucous Membrane Graft for Cicatricing Diseases and Trichiasis, Chapter 15, Principles and Practice of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery; (Editor:Bosniak S.) W.B.Saunders,1995.
- Chapter on "Skin and Eyelid Diseases",in the book "Clinical Guide to Comprehensive Ophthalmology (Editors:David Lee,E.Higginbotham), Thieme Medical Publishing.1999.
Double Eyelid Instruction Courses given Nationally
"Asian Blepharoplasty—State of the Art"-- Instruction Course to other Ophthalmologists at the Annual Meetings of the American Academy of Ophthalmology: 2006, 2008, 2009, 2012, 2014
Blepharoplasty - Anatomy and Technique"
Instruction Course to other Ophthalmologists,at the American Academy of Ophthalmology Annual Meetings:1988, 1989, 1990; 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, and 2005.
Examiner,Oral Examination for Fellowship Program, American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery--1989,90,91,92.
Head Examiner-in-Charge, Oral Examination for Fellowship Program, American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery--1993,94.
Invited Speaker and Visiting Professorship
2016 - Invited Speaker, ASOPRS, Spring Meeting.
- "Asian Blepharoplasty and Epicanthoplasty"
2012 - Invited Panel Speaker, American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Fall Symposium, Chicago, Illinois
- Aesthetic Day Discussion Session: “Aesthetic Procedure for the Asian Face”.
Feb 2012 - Invited Featured Speaker and Honorary Visiting Professor, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
- “16th Advanced Aesthetic Plastic Surgery Workshop”
- Featured Lecture: “Asian Blepharoplasty”, & Oculoplastic lectures on Upper and Lower eyelids, Reconstruction of Eyelid Defects, Lacrimal surgery, Ectropion and Entropion repair.
Feb 2005 - Visiting Professorship: Tung Wah Hospital Group, Hong Kong
- Sponsored by the Tung Wah Hospital Group, Hong Kong: Open Lecture On “Asian Eyelid Surgery: My Personal Views” (double eyelid crease procedure: primary and reoperations.)
- Given to the Hong Kong College of Ophthalmology, Hong Kong Ophthalmological Society, and Hong Kong College of Plastic Surgery and Plastic Surgery Board.
Apr 2003 - Visiting Professorship: Yongsei University Medical School, Seoul, South Korea
- Sponsored as Invited Featured Speaker for the “First International Symposium on Aesthetic Surgery for Asians” 2003 Seoul, Korea.
- Sponsored by Yonsei University Medical School, the Korean Aesthetic Surgery Society and the Korean Ophthalmic Plastic Surgery Society; April 2003, Seoul, Korea.
- Specialized course on how to do double eyelid procedure via Asian Blepharoplasty.
- "Asian Blepharoplasty - Trapezoidal Debulking of Pre-aponeurotic Platform", and "Reoperative Surgery for Asian Blepharoplasty Patients"